We really do have a quite lovely home in Santa Fe that we're very happy with. We've been here two and a half years and in that time, we've managed to buy some things for our house that we really like.
We had high hopes for our TV room. We wanted it to have a "movie theatre" look and feel. We got really cool curtains and stenciled the walls and got a beautiful ceiling fan. But then something when oh-so-wrong in that room.
- Ten years ago or so, I was a young, single woman with no man, no kids and no pets. Therefore, I bought myself a beautiful ivory couch. Those of you who remember this couch will recall that you weren't allowed to sit on it until I looked at your butt to make sure it was clean enough to touch my couch (those of you who weren't around in those days might read that and think I'm kidding ... I'm not. That couch was sacred to me). Well, we got Bella and she decided it was her couch. From day one, she was sitting on it - *gasp*! Then she started chewing on it *gasp*! and finally had to accept that couch was done with its pristine days. The couch is now covered with a sheet and is chewed up in a few spots. Bella now considers the couch her personal lounging area. She jumps up onto the couch and then makes her way up to the back pillows, sits right on top of them and hangs over the arm of the couch. Bella also watches TV from there. And I'm not kidding. She is fascinated with the TV and watches it very intently. Its crazy.
- A couple of years ago, we were doing foster care and a friend of a friend gave us a glider and a matching ottoman. Its gotten a lot of use, and now the ottoman has all but fallen appart (yet, we still use it). The seat of the chair has a spring that has broken off. It makes a funny noise when we glide and the seat is starting to cave in (yet, we still use it).
- At the end of this past summer, Wal*Mart was clearancing out patio furniture. They had a white rocker that was 1/2 off and it looked like a good piece of furtniture for the baby room. We liked it at first, but soon realized its not all that comfortable. So there it sits in our TV room ... mostly abandoned, and looking like a piece of patio furniture ... because IT IS!
- We also have two office / waiting room type chairs from the 1980s. I brought them home because we had this big house and very little furniture. They are oh-so-tacky and just sit at the back of the room - completley unused.
- Then there is the row of four dining table chairs that sit in a row against the way because there is no other place to put them.
- Let us not forget the wooden TV trays that we use as side tables next to the aforementioned ivory couch and disintegrating glider
- Last, but not least, the wall that has some serious water damage from last year's roof leak. Yep, that's right ... a year later, and it has not been fixed.
Are we embarassed by this room? You bet! But, I think we're more amused at ourselves than embarassed.
And if you can't laugh at yourselves ... then what's the point?