Monday, July 9, 2007

Kids' Reactions to the Pregnancy

I am just so amused by the various reactions little kids give when they learn we're having a baby.

As many of you know, Jonathan and I teach the toddler class at church on Sundays. We have a different crowd every week and so from time-to-time, we announce to them that we're having a baby. The youngest of our kids are intrigued momentarily, and then go about their merry ways (just like when its story time in our class … ha ha! Such short attention spans!).

The older kids who come in to help us sometimes are really intrigued. Two of the girls have decided we're going to name our baby Charles. And each time an older kid comes around, they ask, "When is the baby coming, again?"

When I say November, those with November birthdays get all excited, "My birthday is in November!!" Come to think of it, adults do the same thing: "Hey, MY birthday is in November! Maybe he'll be born on my birthday!"

I was really amused yesterday at the reaction of one of our kiddos. Alicia is a very bright, mature three year old. When her mom picked her up from class yesterday, she noticed I was pregnant and happily announced to Alicia, "Your teacher is going to have a baby! It's in her tummy!" Alicia stared in amazement. It was then time for them to go, and so Alicia gave me her customary hug (awwwwww!) and walked off for a moment … and then turned around and started at my stomach. She started to walk away again and then stopped and looked at me through the classroom window, no doubt pondering the baby in her teacher's tummy.

I was talking on the phone to a friend of mine recently when she told her three year old, "Jennifer is going to have a baby!" and then explained that the baby was growing in my tummy. In the distance, I could hear the little girl proclaim, "I want to go back in your tummy, Mommy!"

Little kids make me laugh!

Jennifer

No comments: