Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Circle of Life - Farewell to Grandma Kahn


My Grandma Kahn died from pneumonia yesterday after several difficult years she'd had in her life - both mentally and physically. I am so glad we all got to see her in March when we were up in Washington State, and that she got to see Christian. She was very frail at the time, and held Christian for as long as she could before she declared he was too heavy for her. It was a precious moment to see her with the baby. ------------------------------->

My Grandma Wieland died in April 2002, and so ... both of my Grandmas are now gone. And all of Jonathan's grandparents are gone.

It got me to thinking about the circle of life. We are all born ... we live ... and eventually, we die. It happens to every single one of us.

I know from old pictures that when I was born, most of my great grandparents were alive. I only have memories of three of them. Christian will have no memory of at least six of his great grandparents ... five of whom died before he was even born.

Christian will not have a relationship with our grandparents, who made such an impact on our lives. And one day, Christian will grow up and (hopefully) have children, and those children likely won't know much about Christian's grandparents. And Christian's grandchildren probably won't know Jonathan and me at all, especially since we are older parents.

And so the circle of life goes on ...

Jennifer

1 comment:

Jonathan and Valerie said...

We're so sorry to hear about your grandma, but you're so blessed that she and Christian were able to meet. Indeed, the Circle of Life is tragic but natural. At least you knew your grandparents--neither of us really did. It's so important to carry on their stories so that family legends live on. May she rest in peace, and may her memory--and those of all your grandparents--live on through your family forever.