Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Remembering Last October

As I sat here looking at the calendar, just a few days before my sweet baby's first birthday, I was thinking back to those last few days before becoming a mommy.

A year ago, we were filled with excitement and the unknown of what was going to happen. When would I go into labor? How long would it last, and how painful would it really be.

Christian was due on 11/9, but two weeks before that date an ultrasound showed that the baby was already 10 pounds and with two more weeks to go, the Dr. decided we'd have a C-section on 11/2.

A year ago, I was so incredibly uncomfortable. As you can see in the photo below (which I vowed I'd never make public, but after a year, I'm less sensitive about it), I was ENORMOUS! It was painful to lay in bed, so I was sleeping on the couch - and not very comfortably. I was getting weird cramps from time-to-time, which later learned were mild contractions. And I felt as though my pelvic bone was going to rip apart.

A year ago, our thoughts were consumed with "everything baby": do we have enough clothes? Enough stuff for mommy? Is everything clean enough? How will Bella do? Who will be here when the baby is born? and on and on and on.

And it was about this time a year ago that there was a full moon. We had been told that full moons tend to trigger labor in very pregnant women. So I found out exactly what time the moon would be the fullest that night, and made sure I was all packed and ready to go. What happened? Not a thing. Ha ha ha!

Good times, good times.



7 comments:

Jonathan, Jennifer, Christian, Scarlett and Chloe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ashlee said...

it is different than it was this morning. So anyway, how big was Christian at birth?

Jonathan, Jennifer, Christian, Scarlett and Chloe said...

Christian ended up being 8 lbs 4 oz at birth ... still a big guy, so I'm happy to have had the C-section. Here's the post I did after we got back from the hospital:

http://theluceros.blogspot.com/2007_11_04_archive.html

Jennifer

Patti said...

You were really big - no wonder you were so uncomfortable!!

But just look at you a year later - FABULOUS!!
Patti

Jonathan and Valerie said...

Awww, I remember this time last year so well. I was traveling for work and couldn't be at the birth and I'm still MAD about that!! But I remember visiting you in the hospital, and my how you've grown into a confident, loving mother since those first nervous moments! He is absolutely adorable in his Superman outfit. We just love the Luceros!!

Jonathan, Jennifer, Christian, Scarlett and Chloe said...

Patti, thanks for saying I look fabulous now! What a lovely compliment! Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Wow you have lost so much weight in the recent pictures!!! You look great Aunt Jennifer... Man you were pretty big though in the last part of the pregnancy. But who isn't!!!!! Haha I love you all and tell Christian I said Happy Birthday!!!! He is so adorable and getting so big. Gees time flies.
Love you all
Ashleigh