Friday, January 23, 2009

Security Alert: We Have a Gate Breach

Christian kept his mommy on her toes today!

While I'm working during the day, Christian is free to explore the upstairs world. He's got his favorite spots, and I know what noises come from those spots - toys that talk, cabinets that slam, book pages that turn. The moment I hear an unusual noise of any kind, I spring into action to see what the lil' guy is doing.

Today Christian was very self-entertaining ... and wasn't at all interested in being in my office with me. I would check on him frequently, and all was well.

And then I heard a noise that doesn't belong upstairs. I jumped up to discover the source of the noise, only to find the gate at the top of the stairs was wide open. We keep it closed with velcro, and I had not heard the sound of velcro ripping apart (the velcro has become worn over time ... guess its time for new velcro).

I stood there - heart racing - thinking "What the ..." and then I heard that noise again and it occurred to me: Christian is DOWNSTAIRS playing with his toys!

My nearly-15 month old child had crawled down the three segments of stairs all by himself - and without incident! (Like most small children, he loves the stairs - but we are always by his side when he's on them, because all it takes is for Christian to be distracted for one moment, and he'll fall down, down, down ...).

I walked back to my office to get something, and headed back down to get Christian ... only to find he was halfway up the stairs again.

Later on, I discovered he's learned how to get up on the couch. I walked into the room to find him on the couch, peering over the side.

So that now makes a chair, a couch and the stairs that he's conquered. And he's still not walking. I guess climbing is more important than walking right now! :)

1 comment:

Ashlee said...

that is to funny! I cant believe he crawled down and did not fall. Isaiah can get up the stairs but not down them