Saturday, September 22, 2007

Labor, Delivery, Epidurals, Spinal Blocks and All That Jazz


This week's prenatal class focused on all the things that freak out an anxious mommy-to-be: labor, delivery, epidurals, spinal blocks, etc. We even watched a video on C-sections (which wasn't nearly as gorey as what I've seen on Discovery Health).

And here is what I have to say: knock me out and wake me up when there is a baby.

Last night, I watched the newest show on The Duggars (you know, that family who just had their 17th child? They named the baby Jennifer, by the way). So she's done this labor and delivery thing several times ... and keeps coming back for more. Women throughout history have been having babies and certainly in less desirable locations and conditions that I'll be in. So I'm trying to get a grip on the whole thing. But man, several hours of the most intense pain I've ever felt in my life is just a scary thought.

When I was a kid, I proclaimed I would never have children because it would hurt too much. Somewhere along the way, I forgot about that little fear ... until recently.

But, this is what I signed up for. And in the end, we get a baby. And that is all that matters.

Jennifer

No comments: