Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Very Close Call ... and the Grace of God

This weekend Liz and I were en route to Albuquerque and highway traffic was zipping along at 75 mph (or more). Traffic then came to an immedate stop and most of us drivers were caught completely off-guard. Tires were screeching and smoking and cars were veering off the road in an attempt to maintain control.

As if all that wasn't scary enough, I looked into my rearview mirror only to see a mini-van coming up behind me ... FAST ... and he wasn't slowing down.

I recall my immediate thought was, "I'm pregnant, my sister is in the car, and Bella is home alone." I quickly moved my car onto the highway shoulder to get us out of the way. The van went barreling past me on my left, and then had to swerve to avoid hitting the car that was in front of me. Had I not moved to the right, we'd have been hit behind with full-force, and been thrown into the car in front of us.

Now that was scary!

God definitely had his hands on us: What if I hadn't looked into the rear view mirror at that exact moment to see that van? What if the van had swerved to the right at the same time I did ... or what if there was already a car on the shoulder (I didn't have time to look before moving over).

So many other ways that situation could have played out. But we were safe and so were others who were in the immediate vicinity.

Praise God! (how could we not??)

Jennifer

No comments: