Friday, November 30, 2007

One Month Ago ...

One month ago today, we were blessed to receive little Christian into the world and into our lives. We just love our little guy!

So here's my one month summary:

The c-section has been far easier to recover from than I expected. I still feel some discomfort at the incision and walk a bit funny because of that discomfort. But overall, I'm back to normal.

Christian only gets up twice a night to be changed and fed and then he's back asleep. It works out nicely for all of us.

Overall, we've been adjusting really well. For me, its a bit challenging to have a newborn at home during the day and still try to get my job done. So I get as much done as I can when he's sleeping (ha! They say to "sleep when the baby sleeps" ... not in this house!). Fortunately, Jonathan works from home two days a week now. We try not to bother him during his work day at home, as I know he's busy. But just when I'm really needing another pair of hands, Jonathan appears. WHEW!

One of the biggest things I've experienced in the past month is the vast amount, and variety, of advice out there. Baby book authors have their differing opinions, my own Dr. and his nurse have differing opinions and parents I talk to all have differeing opinions about feedings, pacifiers, how long to let a baby fuss / cry for, etc.

I was talking to my Grandpa the other day who warned me not to spoil the baby. I said, "Oh, the current thought is that you can't spoil a baby." His reply, "OH YES YOU CAN!" I told him that perhaps each generation has their own views on child rearing. Its currently thought that the first three months of a child's life is considered the "fourth trimester" and that you can't hold, cuddle or otherwise tend to a baby too much in the first three months of life.

Speaking of which, Christian is now fussing. I've let him do so for a bit and now its time to step in and reassure him that Mommy is here for him.

Jennifer

No comments: