Friday, September 12, 2008

Our First Dust Storm

Yet another new experience for the Lucero family:

Jonathan called me as he was leaving work just after 5:00pm yesterday and said, "Look out the window! Do you see that huge dust storm coming?? Its right behind me!"

It was our first dust storm, so we were both excited - ha ha!

I said, "Well, you'd better drive fast then! I'm going to check it out!"

So I loaded Christian into his stroller and walked to the southern-most empty lot in our neighborhood to see the storm.

It seemed far away, and so I figured it wasn't headed towards us. HA!! Suddnely the storm was upon us and we had to run home (a funny sight to see, I'm sure!).

We returned home to find the power was out. I expected it would be brief, but no ... it was an all nighter. By God's good grace, the storm had significantly dropped the temp outside, so we were able to open our windows (hesitantly, because there are all sorts of bugs outside who would love the chance to come inside, and our windows don't have screens).

Sounds like most of Buckeye lost power, but we could see the lights of Buckeye in the distance.
I was stressing about having to be home with the baby all day w/o air conditioning. When I called the utility company at 5:00am today, I was told power would be restored by 6:00pm. UGH! So thank goodness the power came back on much earlier than they told me. WHEW!!!!
I can't pull the storm photos off my camera to share, so below are the pictures I pulled from a news website:




4 comments:

Jonathan and Valerie said...

OHMYGOODNESS! I've never seen anything like this! I'm surprised we've never had these kinds of storms in NM--or have we? I'm glad you guys are OK. Doesn't seem safe to be driving in one of these, or to have your AC go down for hours in the middle of a desert! Crazy weather.

Jonathan and Valerie said...

OHMYGOODNESS! I've never seen anything like this. Have we ever had these in NM? Glad you guys are OK. Doesn't seem safe to be driving in one of these, or to have your AC go out for hours in the middle of the desert!

Patti said...

Hi!

I am so glad you are finished with your move and love your new home! I remember the hot weather and dust storms from when I lived in Goodyear! Drop us an email and let us know your new address, OK?

Patti (and Ralph)

Ashlee said...

hey Jennifer it is Ashlee, add me to your blogging friends list. I will add you