Sunday, July 29, 2007

It Finally Happened ...

My pregnancy books, and previously pregnant friends, have all mentioned that perfect strangers will approach a pregnant woman and make "pregnancy talk." This afternoon was the first time for me.

As the classic story goes, I was in line at the grocery store (well, Whole Foods, so it was a LONG line) so I had a few minutes to chat with this woman. It was actually a very positive conversation: she asked if it was my first baby, told me to take advantage of being able to eat everything, mentioned if I'd be breastfeeding, then I get to continue eating everything I wanted, etc.

And then ... she lookes at my stomach and says, "So you must be due pretty soon then?" I said, "No, actually ... not until November."

The poor woman. She didn't know what to say ... and I felt embarassed for her. So I quickly said, "I keep wondering how many babies are in here!" She laughed, I laughed and all was well.

I still haven't had perfect strangers come up and want to touch my stomach. And you know what? I don't think I'd mind if they did. I am just soooo happy to be pregnant!!!

Jennifer

No comments: